Whey protein is probably the most popular source of protein you can buy. It can be absorbed by the body really fast so its best used straight after a workout, your body absorbs all the whey protein much quicker than any other protein, it’s really fine and soft and doesn’t tend to clump too much, normally mixes really well too.
The same goes for when you’re wanting to buy protein bars, getting a high protein bar made up of whey protein is going to absorb much quicker and at the same time it’s going to taste really good and make you feel a little fuller than a whey protein shake would do.
We will be reviewing 7 of the best whey protein bars, but before we do that, we first need to know what to look for when buying a protein bar that’s going to benefit us instead of hindering our results.
What To Look For When Buying A Whey Protein Bar?
Anytime you’re thinking of buying something like a protein bar there are a number of factors you should consider, first you need to know what your goals are, are you wanting to cut down weight or are you wanting to bulk up? Normally there’s a big difference in cutting weight and bulking up. When cutting, you’re trying to cut down on calories while maintaining your muscle mass so it would be a very gradual weight loss. When bulking, you eat much more calories trying to put weight on and build muscle.
One thing to keep in mind today are the ways they are similar. The most popular way to bulk up now is to eat a very clean diet, getting your calories from whole foods and clean supplements, so the idea is to bulk up without putting on too much fat, while cutting you’re trying to take away the fat while keeping the muscle so you see they are very similar the only difference is the amount of food and calories you need to consume.
When it comes to choosing a whey protein bar you will be looking for very similar things with the only difference being more or less calories.
If you’re cutting, you’re going to want a bar that’s high in protein, low in calories, low in saturated & trans fats and low in sugars.
If you’re bulking up you’re going to be wanting to look for a high protein bar, a decent number of carbs for energy, low in sugar, and proper fats.
These are just for the basic bars, you can get many more whey protein bars out there designed for things like cutting and bulking. There are also bars that have ingredients like green tea extract to help aid in fat loss with plenty of fiber to keep you fuller for longer as well as meal replacement bars full of nutrition but low in calories. For bulking you can get bars with added creatine and a lot more calories.
Now that you know what to look for let’s go and review some whey protein bars.
#7: Gatorade Whey Protein Recover Bars
Like the title says Gatorade made their own whey protein recovery bars. They made these to help people with recovery after a long intense workout, so you can repair quicker and get back to working out the next day, providing you with high protein to help build up and recover your muscles.
About the Product:
This is Gatorades whey protein recover bars, the first thing you notice is how the product looks, using a lot of vibrant orange which stands out to the eye, as well as a clear image of what the product looks like out of the packaging. The macro nutrients are also listed on the label to give you a clear view of what you will be getting be serving.
Each of these bars contains 20g of protein and 360 calories. Most bars range from about 180 calories per bar, but being a recovery bar, it’s going to contain a lot to help your muscles recover after an intense gym session.
They are made from high quality whey protein and milk protein. Whey protein is absorbed by the body quickly but milk protein is absorbed at a much slower rate. It is best to consume in the morning or at night; perfect to help you recover while you sleep.
It uses high protein and high carbs to help rebuild and refuel your muscles.
It comes in 3 delicious flavors, Mint Chocolate crunch, chocolate chip and chocolate caramel (my favorite), all these flavors designed to tickle your taste buds giving you a nice variety to choose from.
Originally these were designed for athletes in mind to help them with their performance and their recovery so they can get back to work the next day, but they are now available for everyone to benefit from.
- High protein and high carbs for energy and recovery
- Convenient and easy to use, can take anywhere
- Best used straight after a workout or before bed
- Tasty flavors
- Carbs are quite high and it has high calories
- The bars are quite big compared to normal ones
- Contains high fats and not the good fats, saturated fats and trans fats
- Makes your mouth really dry and has a bit of a bad texture
If want a high protein bar that actually helps you recover then Gatorade would be my choice, they taste great and if you eat them at the right time it will help you recover a lot faster, sure there are a few bad points about the product but most can be overlooked, this is a pretty decent whey protein bar, I would at least give it a try.
- Post workout bars made with 20 grams of high quality whey and milk protein to help rebuild your muscles for athletic recovery
- 42g of carbs per recovery bar to replenish and get ready for tomorrow's workout
- Scientifically developed for athletes, each bar contains protein and carbs to rebuild and refuel. The protein bar used by the pros in the NFL, NHL, NBA and MLB is now available to you, includes 12 mint chocolate crunch bars
- 350 calories, 20g protein, 42g Carbs
- Individually wrapped to enjoy at the gym, off the field, or on the go
#6 Pottenia Grass Fed Whey Protein Bars
About the Product:
These are Pottenia’s Grass Fed Whey Protein Bars, A more natural take on protein bars, using only organic ingredients to make these bars.
The first look of this product looks rather clean and professional, doesn’t really look like a protein bar, but more like some rich dark chocolate, but it looks good nonetheless, using a lot of black and a little bit of gold to give it a more elegant luxurious look to them.
Each bar contains 21g of grass fed whey protein, it absorbs a little slower than just whey protein but not by much and it is much better for you. It contains prebiotic fiber which helps you fill up easily so you don’t go hungry, as well as helping your body absorb all the goodness and aiding your digestive system.
Like most products these days these are gluten free, GMO free, antibiotic free, no additives or artificial sweeteners and no preservatives, very clean and healthy ingredients.
These come in 3 delicious flavors, peanut butter & dark chocolate, coconut date and coconut vanilla.
With 36g carbs and 14g of fat, 5g of that derived from saturated fats, 0g trans fats, it has 320 calories per bar and 130 of those are from fat.
- 100% organic
- Used with only natural ingredients
- High protein
- High calories, would be great to use in a bulking phase or as a meal replacement while cutting
- Convenient and tasty
- Some of the negative comments about this product are about a bit of a bad taste, not very nice to eat
- High carbs, some people don’t like high carbs
- May contain a bit of fat, fat is essential in any diet just depends on the type of fat and where the fat comes from
Like anything organic or 100% natural the taste is going to be a little bit off, you’re never really going to get something 100% healthy to taste like a big bar of chocolate with cream in the middle, it’s like trying to get a salad to taste just like a hamburger, it won’t happen, but they can try. Personally, I felt that the taste was bearable and the fact that it is grass fed protein makes up for it.
- Protein Bar, Energy Bar, Nutrition Bar, Snack Bar, Meal Replacement Bar, Breakfast Bar
- Grass Fed Whey Protein 21g, Peanut Butter Cacao, Prebiotic Fiber, Very Filling, Best Chocolate Bar Alternative
- Gluten Free, GMO Free, Antibiotic Free, Hormone Free, Additive Free, No Artificial Sweeteners
- No Preservatives, No Sugar Alcohol, 41% Larger than Average Bar (85g), Organic Ingredient.
- Made in USA, 8 Large 85g Bars, Simplest and Healthiest Ingredient list, See Below. Do *NOT* refrigerate!
#5: Power Bar Clean Whey Protein Bar
These whey protein bars are called clean for a reason, they are quite healthy and don’t contain bad ingredients and nutrients. It’s a perfect little snack for anyone needing more protein in their diet.
About the Product:
The overall look of the product reminds me a little of a box of fried chicken, it comes with a square shaped box carrying 4 bars to 16 bars depending on your choice, it is easy to use and open, you can place it in your kitchen and reach in the box each time you want one. They are easily dispensable and it shows all you need to know in terms of nutrition on the packaging.
Each bar contains 20g of protein but it only has 4g net carbs, 2g of sugar and relatively low in fat, making this bar quite healthy for you. It’s perfect if you’re trying to cut weight and just looking for a snack.
It comes in 3 flavors, chocolate chip cookie dough, cookies & cream and white fudge raspberry. All very tasty flavors while some of them can taste a little too sweet if you eat too many.
Uses whey protein isolate as its main protein source, a fast acting protein to quickly repair muscles and help you recover.
Uses milk protein isolate as a secondary protein, great for a slow protein release in your body, perfect for later on in the day or even a night while you sleep.
- High in protein but low in sugars, fats and carbs
- Uses whey protein isolate and milk protein isolate for fast and slow absorption perfect for the whole day
- East to eat and consume, nice and soft
- A little high in saturated fat per bar
- They develop a bad taste after you eat a few bars
- Has a bland texture
- Looks to be healthy but contains palm kernel oil and conola oil, corn fiber
You’re always going to get a mixed review on products, and if you look car fully enough you’re always going to find some hidden nutritional facts on the label that you didn’t expect, remember only a few companies actually want to help people, others just want to make money and aren’t really too bothered about what they put into their products, just look them over carefully and then make your choice, most bars you can’t go wrong with.
- Contains 16 Bars
- 20g of high quality protein
- 2g sugar net carb bar
- No artificial flavors, colors or sweeteners
- Flavors include: Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough, Cookies & Cream, White Fudge Raspberry
#4: Pure Protein Bar
Sometimes while looking for a good whey protein bar you will come across some that do variety packs, which are amazing, you get a chance to have a box of all the different flavors so you can try them all, with Pure Protein you get just that, variety packs of delicious protein bars.
About the Product:
The product product uses a nice set of blue colors which aren’t too bright but not too bland either. You can clearly see what the product is advertising and in this case, you see the different colors for the different flavors this product has to offer, showing you the nutritional information that you want to see.
You will get around 20g of protein per bar, 200 calories per bar and only 2g of sugar, might vary depending on the flavor you choose. The product is also gluten-free.
It comes with a variety pack or just a single dark chocolate coconut flavor, the variety pack contains 3 different flavors for you to try, chocolate peanut butter, chocolate deluxe and chewy chocolate chip.
You will get 6 bars in each variety box, 2 of each flavor.
They do other flavors that I managed to find chocolate peanut caramel and S’mores.
These are a great way of staying on track of your fitness goals while being able to enjoy something tasty and sweet but packed full of protein.
- Comes in a variety pack with different flavors to choose from
- High in protein and low calories
- Gluten free
- Perfect snack for anyone, satisfies your sweet tooth while keeping your diet clean
- High in protein
- Has an okay taste with an okay aftertaste
- Can be bad on the stomach causing pain or even frequent toilet trips
- Contain higher carbs than protein
- Some reports of old or not fresh from packaging
While these bars are high in protein they also contain high carbs. There were also some reports of the product looking old, quite hard to eat and flaky, which are all things that I have never experienced with this product. Personally, I loved it and I thought that the peanut butter chocolate was the best one.
If you were to go with this whey protein bar, make sure to try the peanut butter chocolate flavor as that’s the best one.
- 6 Bars Each of 3 Great Flavors - Chocolate Deluxe, Chocolate Peanut Butter and Chewy Chocolate Chip
- All flavors have at least 20 grams of protein
- Gluten Free
- Only 200 calories and 2 grams of sugar
- The right choice for your on-the-go lifestyle
#3: MusclePharm Assault Combat Crunch
Now with these protein bars you can expect good things, maybe not taste wise but everything else. It consists of high quality ingredients in a quality protein bar to help you reach your desired goals.
About the Product:
MusclePharm have brought out some amazing products but what about their protein bars? Well that’s what we are here to find out.
First, the packaging embodies the usual colors used with all their other products, the use of green and black stands out and catches the eye while showing a small image of what to expect the product to look like. The main nutrients are also labeled on the packaging.
They used very clean ingredients to make these bars, they have to live up to their standards of making supplements for athletes and fighters, so they have to be top level.
Gluten free and contain 20g of protein per bar, the bars are baked using a special process to make them taste amazing and are soft to eat.
They are low in carbs and have tons of fiber to help your body absorb and aid in digestion, it’s like chewing on a soft baked cookie.
Only 210 calories per bar and 63 of those calories are from fats.
Comes with 9 different flavors, birthday cake, chocolate cake, chocolate chip cookie dough, chocolate peanut butter cup, cinnamon twist, coconut, cookies & cream, S’mores and white chocolate and raspberry.
You will get 12 bars each box you purchase.
- They have tons of flavors to choose from
- High protein, low carbs, sugars and calories
- They fill you up really well
- Using whey protein to absorb quicker perfect for after a workout
- Soft bars instead of hard dense bars
- Some of the flavors aren’t that great, but chocolate peanut butter cup, personally, tastes great
- Texture not as soft as advertised
Personally, I loved this product. It has tons of flavors to choose from, is high in protein, low in carbs and is perfect for an after-workout boost. For me, this is the protein bar that I consistently go back to because of how delicious the bars are. Also, the fact that it has 20g per bar is a huge factor for me to hit my protein marks. Highly recommended.
#2: thinkThin High Protein Bars
As soon as I saw these I got a little excited, just look at them they look delicious and the best part is that they are healthy for you. These are high protein bars and they have a lot of different flavors, rich high quality ingredients and flavors.
About the Product:
The overall look of this product is very nice, reminds me of a box of chocolates, using a good use of colors that match perfectly, a cream/white background with just the image of the product and the color of the text to match the product too.
You can see everything clearly and gives off a very professional look and feel, like you’re getting something rich and creamy, you know exactly what you’re getting just by looking at the front of the box.
There is about 20g of protein in each bar, gluten free and low GI, and amazingly there is 0% sugar in these bars and only contains 25g of carbs. There are no trans fats and only 3g of saturated fats with a total of 8g of fat.
The main protein is a blend of proteins, mainly whey protein and soy protein isolate which we have mentioned before. It also has a bit of casein which is for a slow protein intake best used when sleeping.
Only 230 calories each bar, of that 70g is from fats.
There are 13 different flavors to choose from:
- Brownie Crunch
- Caramel Fudge
- Chocolate Espresso
- Chocolate Fudge
- Chocolate Strawberry
- Chunky Peanut butter
- Cookies and Cream
- Creamy Peanut butter
- Dark Chocolate
- Lemon delight
- Maple Almond
- Variety pack
- White chocolate
So, you see there are many flavors to choose from and I haven’t even scratched the surface yet, peanut butter is always a favorite of mine.
You can get yourself a variety pack if your struggling to find which ones you would like to try.
One thing to note is that each pack comes with a package of 10.
- Comes in a lot of flavors so you’re never going to get bored
- Uses a protein blend that’s perfect for the whole day including bed time
- Low in calories and has 0g sugars
- Convenient and looks good in your kitchen
- Uses alcohol sugar instead of normal sugar as a sweetener
- Very dry texture
- Doesn’t have a good taste on certain bars
- Seems to have a bit of a chemical taste to some bars
Although I got excited about this product when I first witnessed them my feelings had a short decline, they do seem to have a dry texture to them and sometimes a bit of an odd taste to them. They do, however, have a high protein content & 0 sugar, which is always good. These are highly recommended and I would give Chunky or Creamy Peanut Butter flavor a shot.
- 20g Protein
- 0g Sugar
- Low GI
- Gluten Free
- GMO† Free
#1: Optimum Nutrition Protein Bar
As we all know Optimum Nutrition are a leading brand in sports and nutrition supplements, they have been awarded loads of times for their products, so you know this bar is going to be pretty good.
About the Product:
The first look is clean, professional and clear, much like a lot of ON’s products, they all have a color code. It clearly shows you what you need to know on the packaging.
You get 12 bars in a box and comes in 5 different flavors:
- Chocolate brownie
- Chocolate chip cookie dough
- Cookies n cream
- Cinnamon pecan
- White chocolate and raspberry
Every time I see the flavors of these kinds of products I can only wonder if they all make the same flavors just to compete and see which ones taste better.
For nutrition, there are 20g of protein, 1g of sugars, 9g of total fats, 10g of dietary fiber and 20g of carbs per protein bar.
This bar offers on the go muscle support to assist in muscle growth and muscle recovery, they only use whey protein isolate and milk protein isolate, but it does say it may contain soy even though it’s not on the label.
- High protein low sugars
- Only 250 calories and great tasting
- Uses whey protein isolate and milk protein isolate, 2 of the best types of proteins together for optimal results for day and night
- Convenient to use
- Negative comments from people are suggesting a bad tasting bar which I have never experienced
- Very chewy bars that stick to your teeth
I love Optimum Nutrition and I think the brand does a good job to create products that will not only meet your dietary needs, but also create a product that is pleasant on the taste buds. These protein bars are no exception. I have, time and time again, tested these bars to see if the quality holds up. I have never experienced anything that the negative comments say about bad tasting bars or anything that is not top quality. Optimum Nutrition continues to bring high quality products and I will always trust their brand as one of the best in the supplement industry.
- High Protein: 20g per bar
- Good Source of Fiber: 8-10g per bar
- Less than 5g of sugar per bar
- Offers convenient on-a-go muscle support to assist muscle recovery to get you ready for your next workout
- Comes in 5 delicious on trend flavors: Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough, Chocolate Brownie, Cookies 'N Creme, White Chocolate Raspberry, Cinnamon Pecan
No matter what brand or company you’re going with to buy a protein bar always do your research and look at other people’s reviews, you might find something out that you didn’t know before, or even take your chance and pick something you like the look of, most times your instincts are right and its quite nice, its if you’re unlucky you get problems.
Most of the bars we have reviewed are quite similar and on the same line, most of their advantages and disadvantages are similar too, so it would come down to you and what you like.
These are no doubt the best 7 protein bars you can find that contain whey protein. There are many more out there, but the main ingredient that we are concerned about is whey protein because it is the fastest absorbing protein you can get. Getting a bar that contains whey will help you a lot more than other types of proteins.
Protein bars are one of the easiest ways to get protein into your body while making you feel fuller than just an average protein shake. If you’re on the go and you don’t want to keep on lugging that blender shake bottle every time you want to get your protein intake in the future, a whey protein bar is a perfect alternative to hit your fitness goals.