So it’s that time of the season again and your wanting to bulk up to pack on the muscle before the dreaded cut, or your just a little on the skinny side and your wanting to put on some weight to fill out more, while it is better for you to be getting your calories from whole foods it can be tough eating that many meals a day, so instead I will give you my opinion on the Top 5 Best Weight Gainers out there for you to try.
Naked Mass – All Natural Weight Gainer
So, we come to our first mass gainer Naked Mass, this is an all-natural mass gaining protein powder, Packed full of Naked Whey Protein, Naked Casein, and organic maltodextrin, it has all you would expect from a mass gainer in terms of protein, carbs, and a good amount of BCAA’s (branched chain amino acids) with only 5g of sugar, so you won’t have to worry about gaining too much body fat packing 1,250 calories per shake.
About the Product:
The first thing that comes to mind when I first view the product is the plain look it has, it doesn’t look too inviting, no artwork or graphics just the bold title with a purple background, this doesn’t affect the mass gainer but it doesn’t really draw the eye.
It is a natural mass gainer product offering good quality ingredients and is also GMO free, Gluten free & Soy free, so you don’t need to expect a lot bad ingredients in your mass gainer. It contains no artificial ingredients and it offers 11 servings per 8lb tub.
It does what you expect a mass gainer to do, it has tons of calories to fill the gaps you might be missing, 1,250 calories per shake. It has high protein and carb content, 50g protein and 252g or complex clean carbs for your muscle growth and recovery, and your energy so you can really get the most out of your workouts.
It has 5g of sugar which is quite low as mass gainers go so you won’t have to worry about carrying too much extra body fat.
11.5g of BCAA’s to aid you in recovery and growth, and contains casein protein, which is a slow digesting protein to give you a slow release throughout the day or even before you go to sleep so your body keeps getting protein through the night.
You can make smoothies and even use it in certain foods if you get a little bored with just drinking.
Comes in 3 flavors, chocolate, vanilla and unflavored.
- The mass gainer uses clean organic ingredients
- It has only 5g of sugar which is far less compared to other gainers
- Perfect if you need the extra calories
- Has Limited ingredients and it tells you where the ingredients are from
- It’s not too thick to drink and blends easily
- Hard to digest without the proper ingredients and digesting enzymes, so expect to be running to the toilet a lot.
- A lot of reviews talk about the sweetness is a little too much as well as some of the flavors taste quite bad.
- People also saying they still didn’t gain much weight or none while taking this.
This seems to be a very clean mass gainer with little ingredients, this is a good and a bad thing, good because you know you’re not getting lots of artificial ingredients and bad because it doesn’t contain any digestive enzymes which aid digestion, which I feel is needed in a mass gainer containing that many calories. But saying that a lot of reviews say they digested this product fine, I guess it depends if you have a sensitive stomach or not. Good Buy.
- ONLY THREE INGREDIENTS: Naked Whey, Naked Casein and Organic Maltodextrin (made from gluten free organic tapioca). Naked Mass contains no artificial sweeteners, flavors, or colors and is GMO Free, Growth Hormone Free, Soy Free and Gluten Free.
- MAXIMUM NUTRITION: 50g of Protein, 252g of Carbs, 1,250 Calories, 11.5g of BCAAs (branched-chain amino acids) per serving and only 5g sugar.
- MULTI-PHASE CLEAN PROTEIN: All natural whey and casein provides your body with healthy amino acids to keep protein synthesis up throughout the day.
- PREMIUM COMPLEX CARBOHYDRATES: Unlike other weight gainers that use wheat-based maltodextrins, Naked Mass uses gluten free organic tapioca maltodextrin for clean source complex carbohydrates.
- PROTEIN SHAKES AND RECIPES: Natural unflavored weight gainer protein is versatile in making protein shakes, smoothies and recipes. Boost calories and nutrition by adding Naked Mass to protein bars, cookies and other recipes.
Optimum Nutrition – Serious Mass
This has to be one of the heavy hitters in the top 5 mass gainers, Optimum Nutrition have wowed the supplement industry with their supplements being one of the best in the world, This mass gainer provides you with all the tools you need to build some serious muscle, you can expect a lot of ingredients with this mass gainer giving you everything you’re going to need to reach your goals, this mass gainer makes it easier for you.
About the Product:
Firstly, it looks quite professional, it has a nice design, matching colors with other supplements in their brand which also aid you in optimal muscle building and recovery, so there really is no stone unturned.
Like most mass gainers it is packed with calories so you never have to worry about missing any, along with those calories you get 50g protein, over 200g of complex carbs, it even has over 25 vitamins and minerals to make sure your body is getting everything it needs, also it contains creating and glutamine, it’s going to help you pushing harder, lifting more weight and aiding in your overall recovery so you can get straight back to it the next day without been too sore.
Using this with milk is going to give you 1,600 or more calories per shake.
It’s perfect for weight gain and muscle building, even if you have a faster metabolism and struggle getting calories from your food this would be a perfect fit, a scoop or two with milk will give you tons of calories and a great taste too.
Contains less than 5g of fat so you won’t have to worry about unwanted body fat, and you can add fruits, nuts, peanut butter and more to help enhance your mass gaining.
- Most reviews say it has a great taste
- Contains a lot more ingredients to aid you in optimal muscle building and recovery
- A lot of great reviews saying how much people gained in a short amount of time
- Comes in 5 flavors, chocolate, banana, chocolate peanut butter, strawberry and lastly vanilla.
- Comes in two sizes a 12lb bag or a 6lb tub
- It has quite high sugar content 20g per shake with water and 56 with low fat milk
- A few of reviews did find bits of bone in their supplements so make sure you look in your scoop before trying to drink.
- People didn’t like the design of the product too much especially the zip-lock you open and close it with, breaks rather easily.
- Not too good with mixing, may require a firm hand and a longer shake time and still that’s if your stomach can handle it.
- 16 serving per bag and it is recommended you take 2 scoops per serving, which won’t last you long at all.
- Can lead to stomach pain and a lot of toilet trips
It is what it is, a mass gainer, it has good points and bad points I guess it just depends how lucky you are or not to receive a bag with no problems, it does have a lot of ingredients that will aid you a lot better than other mass gainers out there, but it also comes with a lot of sugar which can make things a little too sweet depending on your flavor, it can also put a bit of body fat on you if you aren’t eating clean and being responsible. I take this product myself the chocolate peanut butter flavor, you can’t taste much peanut but it has a nice chocolate taste and it mixes rather well.
- High Calorie Weight Gainer: 1,250 Calories per 2-Scoop Serving
- 50 Grams of Protein per Serving
- Over 250 Grams of Carbohydrates per Serving
- 25 Vitamins & Minerals Plus Creatine & Glutamine
- Using an Electric Blender to Add Fresh or Frozen Fruits, Peanut Butter, Nuts & Other Calorie Dense Foods to Boost Your Weight Gain Potential
Muscle Milk Gainer
This is Muscle Milk’s Gainer, which is designed mainly for hard gainers, people who struggle to gain weight no matter how much they eat and how many supplements they drink, it contains little less calories than most mass gainers and protein too, it has 650 calories per 4 scoops which is the recommended usage if you’re looking to build size and strength. This Mass Gainer doesn’t seem like our usual mass gainer, let’s look.
About the Product:
The overall look of this product looks nice, it looks professional and it clearly shows the flavor and the products main selling points, the color of the tub changes depending on the flavor which is quite nice also.
It has me a little stumped, this is a gainer for hard gainers yet it has considerably less calories than an average mass gainer at 650 calories, and that’s still 4 scoops to be able to get that amount, the protein content is quite low too at 32g of protein in those 4 scoops, makes you wonder how its possibly going to last.
Contains both fast release and slow release proteins for straight after your workout and so you can take as a meal replacement or even before bed, giving you a nice slow intake throughout the day and night.
It has 18 amino acids including all the essential ones in the proper amounts, and has a very high quality score 1.0 PDCAAS which is the highest a food protein can have.
It says this product comes with 4 flavors but it does in fact come with only 2, chocolate and cookies and crème, vanilla is only available in the 10lb bag, they have 2 sizes 5lb tub or a 10lb bag and has 28 servings for the 5lb tub.
- It has a nice taste to most of its flavors
- A lot of reviews say they gained a good amount of weight using this product
- Recommended for beginners rather than advanced weight lifters and highly active people.
- You would have to take 4 scoops just to make 650 calories which is quite low for a weight gainer.
- People found it difficult to consume the required number of scoops per serving
- Contains high cholesterol
- Doesn’t have a lot of ingredients that other gainers have
This one was quite difficult to review if I’m honest, reading the product packaging and features it didn’t seem like there was enough per serving for a hard gainer to be able to gain weight especially if they are quite active and workout a lot, maybe if they just wanted to gain weight and didn’t do much activity then maybe, but reading the reviews of the customers who bought this they claim to have made a good amount of weight gain, there are no major bad things and its pretty decent, I would recommend to beginners or those who don’t get active much.
- EVERYDAY GAINS - MUSCLE MILK Gainer is a specialized product designed for hard gainers: those of us that more easily lose than gain size and strength
- KEY FEATURES - MUSCLE MILK Gainer Powder contains 32 grams of protein, 3 grams of leucine from milk proteins, and 650 calories in every 4 scoops (162g), the recommended usage for individuals looking to build size and gain muscle mass
- USAGE - MUSCLE MILK Gainer Powder can be used pre-workout, post-workout or as an anytime protein-rich meal option or snack
- GREAT TASTING SHAKE - Mix 4 scoops (162g) MUSCLE MILK Gainer Powder into 10-16 fluid-ounces water for a great tasting shake. You can also add it to pancakes, smoothies or other recipes to increase the protein content
- WORK OUT. REFUEL. REBUILD. ADVANCE. - Consuming both fast and slow release proteins, like those found in MUSCLE MILK Gainer, helps keep your body in positive protein balance
Optimum Nutrition – Pro Gainer
Optimum Nutrition brought out another version of a mass gainer but this time with a little more kick, made for people who are a lot more serious about their goals needing a lot more protein for recovery and growth and a lot of carbs to give them enough energy to push through their workouts.
About the Product:
The first thing you notice is the look yet again, but this looks different from any of Optimums other supplements, it has a nice purple shine to the tub as well as a good use of silver, I look great and instantly draws you in, especially with the word “PRO” written in bold making it sound like special supplement, professional.
This particular product contains a lot more protein than other mass gainers, it has 60g of high valued protein from 7 different sources, its easily digested thanks to the high biological value proteins making it a lot easier on the stomach.
It has plenty of complex carbs and lipids (fats & oils) which sustain energy which are going to help your body to keep all your muscle without your body burning it and using it as fuel, with 85g of complex carbs and lipids in each serving with 4-5g of fiber with just 5g of sugar, also containing energy dense lipids like MTC’s.
For your body to process all the carbs, fats and proteins your digesting you will need enough micronutrients to help process and absorb all the goodness you are getting from your mass gainer, this mass gainer has 26 vitamins and essential minerals for the perfect balance.
This particular gainer gives you around 650 calories and more per serving to give you the extra calories you need to make sure you’re going to be gaining lean muscle mass without carrying too much body fat, that’s why its typically low in calories and sugar, to give you the best quality calories you could possible get from a gainer.
One thing I did notice, is that this gainer doesn’t seem to be giving any BCAA’s like a lot of other gainers do but this gainer uses more high quality ingredients and protein that other gainers and is supposed to have a much better taste, it’s a very clean lean gainer.
- It uses expensive high quality ingredients making sure your gains are just lean gains
- It has very high protein and low sugar making it a valued supplement for the more serious people with major goals
- It breaks up and mixes well with water
- Doesn’t leave you feeling bloated and heavy
- Great Taste
- One scoop doesn’t equal the full serving size it says it does, people say it’s more like 2 scoops for one serving
- It uses maltodextrin which sweetens the protein, it can be stored as fat if your muscles don’t need glycogen at that moment.
- The packaging after a few times being opened doesn’t seal well
- Quite a high price
The main thing I managed to point out looking at various reviews were the scoop and serving size, with just one leveled scoop it doesn’t quite equal to the amount the serving suggests, making it more 1 and a half scoop to 2 scoops, other than that this seems to be quite a high quality, high protein mass gainer, the price can seem high but you get what you pay for, using this in conjunction with a high protein and carb with moderate fats diet you will definitely see some major lean muscle gains.
- Optimum Nutrition Pro Complex Gainer Db Chocolate 5.08Lb Weight Gainer
BSN – True Mass
I’ve seen a lot of hype from a lot of people regarding BSN’s True Mass, it is a lean mass gainer getting good quality proteins from 6 different sources, over 45g of protein per serving with over 700 calories and essential BCAA’s with fiber, making it an all-round true mass gainer.
About the Product:
It has a very vibrant color using a good amount of sliver too, the writing and labels are clear and easy to see making choosing a supplement rather easy, giving you all the information you need right at the front.
This gainer produces rich and creamy protein shakes with no added chalky texture and taste but just how many of these supplements have actually said this and it hasn’t been true?
Containing 45g of quality proteins from 6 different sources, non-soy protein with 90g in carbs giving you a nice release of energy for the day and for before and after your workouts.
With 10g of BCAA’s to aid in recovery and growth, 5g of fiber to aid in digestion and absorption and over 700 calories per serving giving you leaner results with less body fat gains.
It comes in 7 different flavors to make sure its tailored to everyone’s needs and tastes, it has chocolate milkshake, cookies & crème, vanilla ice cream, but the strawberry milkshake and just plain strawberry can only be chosen in the bigger sizes.
It comes in 3 different sizes containing 15 servings to 16 servings to the smallest tub of 5.82lbs.
- It contains high quality ingredients
- Doesn’t contain too much fat or sugar making it perfect for leaner gains without the added body fat
- Great taste with no chalkiness
- Has everything you would need for your muscle building goals
- Expect good weight gain results from this product
- The serving size and scoop is very big, making it hard for some people to digest
- It may have a little chemically taste to it according to some of the reviews
- Doesn’t taste good with water, tastes better with milk
- It takes 3 scoops to get just 47g of protein and 600 calories
- Can be quite a thick shake
I can’t really find too many faults with this product, most bad reviews are on taste and the size of the scoop and serving size but other than that I would say this mass gainer is pretty solid, you can expect a good amount of weight gain using this product with a healthy balanced diet getting enough calories from whole foods and supplementing with this if you need the extra calories.
- Lean weight gainer with 6 premium protein sources
- Over 45 grams of protein per Serving; No soy protein
- 90g Carbs, 10g BCAA, 5g fiber per Serving
- Ideal for recovery - over 700 calories per serving
- Produces rich, creamy shakes; No chalky weight gainer taste and texture
There are a lot of mass gainers out there, I managed to find the top 5 best mass gainers using reviews from people around the world, like any mass gainer you can expect a big serving size, quite a thick shake and I mix if tastes depending which one you pick, the trick is to not be too fussy about the taste, if your wanting to build some size and muscle look for a lean gainer with high protein, low sugar and moderate fats and moderate to high carbs, so you won’t be expected to carry too much extra body fat by the time your bulk is over.
Always make sure you get the most of your calories from whole foods, and use a mass gainer to get you to your daily calories that you need to gain weight, the gainers from the list above I would recommend using Optimum Nutrition Pro Gainer or BSN True Mass for a lean mass gainer with cleaner products without having too many stomach upsets, for a beginner or someone younger wanting to gain weight I would recommend using Muscle Milk Gainer, made for hard gainers and has nice clean ingredients, fast and slow release proteins to fuel your days and nights, if you’re looking for something with more calories that can pack on weight quite fast I would suggest using Optimum Nutrition Serious Mass, its packing a lot more calories as well as essential BCAA’s and vitamins & Minerals, if you’re looking for something more natural and clean then Naked Mass would be perfect for you, it uses a limited amount of ingredients so you don’t get loads of artificial preservatives, uses naked whey protein and naked casein to fuel your body all day and night.