Protein comes in many forms, the most popular are protein powders and supplements, but it’s not for everyone, a lot of people might be bored of having a protein shake or two per day, some might be lactose intolerant finding it hard to find a decent lactose free protein supplement, others simple don’t have the time to eat 6 meals a day and mixing up protein shakes especially with a busy work life.
But things are changing, there are so many products you can buy now that have high protein, you can buy protein bars, protein pancake mixes, you can even get protein chocolate bars like the new snickers and mars bar protein bars.
In this article, we will be reviewing none other than the top 5 protein chips.
#5 Kays Natural Protein Chips
This is Kays Naturals Protein Chips, just like it says in the title they are a natural type of chips, and gluten free.
It can be hard to stick to a strict diet plan whether it’s for bulking or cutting, these type of protein products give you the ability to enjoy great tasting snacks without worrying about it ruining your diet.
About the Product:
This is a perfect example of a delicious snack that you can enjoy whether its cutting or bulking, it contains high protein and fiber and it is low in glycemic, so you know you’re getting a nice healthy balanced snack without having to stick to bland foods.
The overall look of this product is quite like some kind of milk carton or a drinkable protein supplement, but it actually contains chips, it shows you what the product looks like using the pictures and gives you all the information you need, how much protein it contains, fibre and more.
It contains a good amount of protein, 10g of protein per serving and you get 5 servings in each container, which is about 50g of protein all together.
It also has about 3g of fiber per serving to help your body digest and absorb all the nutrients your body needs from these chips.
Each serving has about 14g of carbs and only 3.5g of fat, no saturates or trans fats included so it’s essentially good fat, essential fat.
The one thing that bothers me a little bit is the amount of sodium/salt in this product, which it’s quite high for just 1 serving spread out across a few days but for the more serious people who work out a lot they might be tempted to consume a lot more than just 1 serving which would equate to a lot of sodium.
It has 110 calories per serving, 30 of those calories are made up from fat, so if you do decide to eat more than 1 serving per day make sure you keep an eye on your fat intake.
It uses lean soy protein which isn’t exactly the best but its healthy for you and it will get the job done.
It has about 18 different flavors to choose from, it can range from a nice spicy type of chips to tickle your tongue all the way to a nice parmesan cheese flavor for a delicious mouthwatering taste.
You can get them as chips, a cereal, protein puffs even as almonds and toasted pretzels, there is always more to try and these do sound great!
Also, it has 5 different sizes 1.2 ounces, 5 ounces and 9.5 ounces with different types and flavors to choose from.
- A healthier alternative to snacking while on a cut or bulk
- It’s a lot more convenient than it would be to make a protein shake and tastes better too leaving you feeling more satisfied
- No saturated fat or trans fat
- It has a lot of different flavors and types to choose from
- Low in calories
- Quite high in salt/sodium
- 30 of the 110 calories are made up from fat per serving
- Some of the negative reviews have found some odd objects inside their product
- Some of the products may be hard to chew causing jaw ache
- Bad after taste and some flavors don’t taste as they are described
- Made in Minnesota
- Crunchy protein chips with parmesan and spice flavorings.
- All-natural; no trans fat; no cholesterol; 110 calories per ounce
- Balance of lean soy protein, carbohydrates, and fiber
Although there are a few negative comments regarding this product I really like these. There are many good things about this product and personally, I found these flavors to be delicious. The fact that it is high in protein is also a big positive when it comes to nutritional value. Definitely give these a try if you’re looking for a high protein snack.
#4 IPS Protein Chips
IPS Protein Chips are like many other protein chips, they have different flavors and sometimes different ingredients, these are smaller bags of chips, so they won’t carry as much ingredients, this could be a good thing or a bad thing but we will see.
About the Product:
These chips are like most other chips, apart from the bag size is relatively smaller, which means less ingredients, which also means you would have to eat more just to make up the amount of proteins, fats, carbs you’re going to need.
Each serving contains only 6g of protein which is the equivalent to about 1 whole egg, it’s not much and depending if it fills you or not you might end up eating more.
It contains half the fat of fried potato chips making it rather healthy and low fat.
It is gluten free, non-GMO corn, whole grain, whey protein and no artificial additives or preservatives or flavors.
The number of calories this contains are around 130, but 45 of those calories are from fat, it has no trans fats but it does have 1g of saturates but the rest of the 4g of fat is good fats.
This product has typically less sodium that most of the others, but that may be due to the smaller serving sizes.
The total carbs are 15g, 1g from dietary fibers and 2g from sugars.
These chips let you have delicious snacks without eating away empty calories and eating the wrong kind of snack, it lets you cheat without cheating while giving you a much fuller feeling keeping you satisfied until your next food intake.
It comes in 4 delicious flavors, white cheddar, BBQ, sea salt & pepper and lastly cinnamon.
It does say it comes with 2 different sizes but they are the same, you can get 1 ounce which is a 24 pack for you to enjoy.
- Delicious and flavorful
- A nice little snack to help with your cravings, healthy too
- Convenient to take just about anywhere, for a school dinner, for work or just straight after the gym
- Contains whey protein concentrate
- Most of the positive reviews are quite good apart from the comments on the changed recipe and ingredients that they apparently used to contain.
- Not the original formula so it tastes a little different
- The bags are quite small and it doesn’t contain much protein 6g
- Not a lot of flavor in the new formula
- Delicious White Cheddar Ips Chips: protein that satisfies, 24 x 1 ounce (snack size) bags
- Packed with 6 grams of protein per serving - equilvent to one whole egg!
- Half the fat of fried potato chips, fewer carbs than baked potato chips
- Gluten free, Non-GMO corn, whole grain, whey protein, no artificial flavors or preservatives
- Proudly made in America
It’s quite a basic protein chip product, doesn’t contain a lot of bad ingredients and would be great for a nice little snack, some of the negative and positive comments both talk about the new formula, not tasting as good as they used to, which means they probably removed a certain ingredient to make it a little healthier.
When I tried this snack, I didn’t have anything against this product. I just don’t like the small servings/bags and would much prefer a bigger bag with more protein so I don’t have to eat multiple bags throughout the day.
#3 Proti Diet Protein Crisps
This is Proti Diet Crisps, similar to most other protein chips but this one is to help lose weight, to give you something to snack on while you don’t have to worry about it costing you your dream body and goals.
About the Product:
With this product, you can say goodbye to those bland chips protein chips other companies sell, it comes with a delicious flavor called white cheddar, but it doesn’t come with anymore flavors which makes it hard to judge the product or comparing them to other brands.
With first glance, it clearly shows you what the expected product looks like out of the box, it looks appetizing to say the least. It also looks professional and fits in with their other products they sell.
Their main source of protein comes from pea protein, which is more natural, you get 15g per serving of protein, 10g of carbs which 1g of that is dietary fiber and 2g sugar.
The sodium/salt in this product is on the higher end, and this is just per serving, so if you ended up eating a few of these per day it would be quite a lot of salt, not to mention other salt you will be getting from any other meals.
It has about 120 calories, 40 of those calories come from fats, there are no trans-fats and only 0.5g of saturated fat, the rest of the fats 4g are good fats.
- Convenient to be able to take just about anywhere
- High protein low in calories
- Pea protein a more natural protein
- The taste is supposed to be good
- Texture is a little like cardboard
- The flavor isn’t as potent as it may seem, not a strong flavor, quite bland
- Quite high in salt/sodium
- Only one flavor
- Pea protein, potato flakes
- high protein snack, only 120 calories, 15 grams of protein
Like most other protein chips this is very similar, in terms of calories, carbs, fats and protein, they have different types of protein, some healthier than others and some are easier absorbed than others, because this one is diet chips it uses pea protein.
It’s quite a basic product using similar ingredients as most other protein chips do, it has just 1 flavor which might taste nice but I like a bit of variety when it comes to protein foods and snacks, the more flavors and types the better.
#2 SimplyProtein Vegan Chips
If you’re looking for an even healthier alternative to other protein chips you can try these, they are made for vegans, but we all know vegans have a super healthy diet, so expect nothing but good things, maybe a few bad tastes and texture but healthy non-the less.
About the Product:
These are SimplyProtein’s vegan chips, made manly for vegans but anyone can try these out they will be super healthy for you containing only natural ingredients.
The look of this product is professional, no overuse of dramatic color just a nice clean look helping to promote it being vegan and healthy.
It’s all verified and tested as you can see by the little achievements or logos at the bottom of the packaging.
Each packet contains around 140 calories, 15g of protein, 4g of fat and has about 20% iron. Also, 12g of carbs, 1g of fiber and quite a lot of sodium/salt like the others, this is probably where they get the flavor from, with it being vegan there is bound to be a little more sodium and lastly it has 2g of sugar.
It contains other nutrients and vitamins too.
With the high protein and fiber, you can expect these to help fill you up a lot more so you won’t feel cravings so badly helping you get through the day.
Gluten free and non-GMO, vegans, diabetics, and people with celiac disease would be able to enjoy these.
It has 4 flavors and 2 different sizes to choose from, the flavors are herb and garlic, spicy chili, BBQ tomato, salt and pepper. The sizes are a pack of 12 and 12 again but for different flavors.
- It’s all natural and vegan
- Contains your daily intake of iron 20-30%
- Gluten free and non-GMO
- Perfect for someone with diabetes and celiac disease
- Tasty flavors and very filling
- Due to the iron content, it may give off a bit of a weird flavor some say a bit of a metallic taste
- It has had a big price jump compared to the original product cost
- It has quite a sweet taste to the chips some like it but most do not
- 15g of Protein, 4g of Fat, 140 Calories
- 20% of Daily Iron Per Bag
- High Protein and Fiber Content
- Suitable for Vegan and Gluten-Free Diets
There aren’t too many negative things about this product, a few minor things I wouldn’t say were that bad, it gives you a nice protein boost especially if your trying to eat clean and healthy vegan products are extremely healthy, with added iron you won’t have to worry about eating enough meats.
#1 Quest Nutrition Baked Potato Chips
If you don’t know who Quest Nutrition is then you seriously need to find out, they have made some of the best tasting products that you can buy, especially the protein bars. Now we find they also do baked potato chips, which will be very interesting to try out, they have some delicious flavors.
About the Product:
On to the second chips product we come to quest nutrition’s baked potato chips, they sound delicious just by reading the title and healthy for you too.
The first look at this product is quite nice, I wouldn’t say professional but it looks like an ordinary bag of chips you would find in the corner shop, apart from it has high protein and it healthy.
It contains only 5g of carbs per bag and a massive 21g of protein per bag too helping you cheat cleanly without the regret.
They use the highest quality of ingredients to ensure the product is at its best and does the job we want it to do.
They use a protein blend with different types of protein, milk protein isolate, whey protein isolate and use natural flavors to make their products taste great.
No trans-fat or saturated fats and there are only 20 calories derived from the fats leaving 100 calories from the product itself.
There is no dietary fiber in this product so it might be a little hard to absorb the goodness and help with the digestion process.
This also contains quite a bit of sodium/salt especially if you’re eating more than 1 bag per day and contains potassium and cholesterol.
There are in total 6 different flavors ranging from BBQ, cheddar and sour cream, salt and vinegar and lastly sour cream and onion.
It has 7 different sizes, 5 bags, 8 bags, 10 bags, 24 bags, 32 bags mostly depending on the flavor you choose.
Contains real potatoes and they are all natural, gluten free and soy free.
- Low in fat
- No saturated or trans-fats
- Only 120 calories per bag
- Uses a protein blend to give you different sources of protein for the entire day
- All natural using real potatoes and natural flavoring
- Very crunchy and delicious targeting those cravings
- Contains a bit of salt/sodium so if you’re eating more than one bag per day make sure to keep an eye on how much you’re getting
- Negative comments say it has a bad taste and it is like chewing cardboard
- Most negative reviews are based upon the texture and the flavor
- Our new BBQ chips are packing more crunch, more protein, and more of your favorite smokey, backyard flavor than ever before!
- 21g Protein, 2g Net Carbs, 0g Sugars, 2g Dietary Fiber, 130 Calories, 4g Fat
- Baked - Never Fried; Made with high-quality Whey and Milk Protein Isolates
- All Natural / Gluten Free / Soy Free / Potato Free
- Includes 8 Quest BBQ Protein Chips
I see a lot of the negative reviews on these kind of products and it does make me laugh a little, they tried to make chips healthy, so you shouldn’t expect them to taste just like regular chips, expect cardboard texture and some differences in the flavor, if you eat any type of product that is all natural and healthy they don’t always taste so great, in anything, bars, shakes anything it always has a bit of an aftertaste, I would still try these out because there are still tons of good reviews about this product.
If you’re going with any flavor I would suggest BBQ as not only is it the most popular, it tastes the best too.
We all know how difficult it is when it comes to diets, bulking up or even cutting down body fat, it’s difficult, there are so many ways to do things, so many things you can buy to help you along your fitness journey, but finding the right ones can be difficult.
Some people can tolerate just using food, or just drinking a protein shake to get the extra protein, but some other people it just doesn’t work with them or their body, they need something that will keep them full, things that will satisfy their taste buds, it can be difficult especially for those who like to snack throughout the day.
That’s where Protein chips come in, they taste good, they are typically low in calories and high in protein, most have fiber to help you feel a lot fuller for longer so your feeling more satisfied and less likely to have bad days knowing you can snack on some delicious chips.
Out of all the products I would go with Quest Nutrition or SimplyProtein, they are both high in protein and are quite healthy for you especially the vegan protein chips, but as for Quest I would buy for the flavor and different types you can purchase.