From my guess, the reason why you are here is because you want to know how to apply pomade to your beautiful hair. I mean, why wouldn’t you? Pomade is the shit and will make your hair styling much easier with the perfect amount of hold that is right for you, depending on the type of product of course.
Applying pomade doesn’t have to be difficult and it isn’t rocket science. If you’ve ever used hair products before like any type of gel or wax, you’ll notice that pomade is not only easier to work with, but it holds much better. So let’s get started on how to apply pomade with step by step instructions with things to look for to bring you the most value.
Recommended: Top 5 Best Pomades of 2016
Applying Oil-Based vs Water-Based Pomades
Before we get into the step-by-step process of how to apply pomade, it is important to know the types of pomades as they have different characteristics.
Oil-based pomades are generally petroleum based and will be much greasier than their water-based counterparts. This will affect the application process because oil-based pomades are not water-soluble, which means that it will stay in your hair much longer. Because of this, each time you apply an oil-based pomade, the next day, you don’t have to use as much since you still have some of the product in your hair from the day before. You can use different degreasers to get the product out of your hair as well and if you want more information, you can check out my guide on how to get pomade out of your hair here.
Water-based pomades are pomades that have water in them and are water-soluble. This means that when you wash your hair with water, the product should wash out easily depending on how much product you have in your hair. Generally, these are more expensive, but in my experience, the small increase in price is worth the fact that you are able to cleanly wash your hair with ease.
Step-by-Step: How to Apply Pomade
Now that we have the basics out of the way, it’s time to get into the nitty gritty! Here is my step-by-step guide on how to apply your favorite pomade to achieve the look that you want.
Step 1: Make Sure Your Hair is Clean
Making sure your hair is clean is essential to apply pomade. It definitely helps for all types of hair, but it really benefits if you have curly hair. The reason why this is important is because all of the dirt and build up that accumulates in your hair will make it difficult for the pomade to be evenly distributed. If your hair is clean, it eliminates this issue and makes it easier for you to apply your favorite hair product.
Step 2: Make Sure to Use Conditioner After You Have Your Hair Clean
After you have cleaned your hair from the dirt and loosened up the strands, applying conditioner makes your hair sleeker and easy for you to apply the pomade through your hair.
Step 3: Towel Dry & Grab Your Favorite Comb
After you have cleaned and conditioned your hair, you want to make sure you towel dry your hair. Not 100% completely dry, but give it a good rub down to the point that it’s damp. Then grab your favorite comb and comb through your hair to loosen up any tangled strands.
Optional Step 4: Blow Dry Your Hair
Depending on the product and the look that you want, you may want to blow dry your hair to save you some time. Some products require you to have completely dry hair to work in. Also, for products that normally would work fine with damp hair, if you want more of a crispy texture, then you can completely dry your hair first, then apply the pomade almost like a gel. This will give it that crispy texture that you’re looking for.
If you’re looking for a quality blow dryer, I would recommend Panasonic EH-NA65-K nanoe Hair Dryer.
Step 5: Application
- Make sure to grab a quarter size of pomade. Or you can measure it by the first indent of your index finger as a foundation. From there you can determine if you need more pomade.
- Rub it in between your hands in a circular motion
- Apply through your hair roots by sliding your fingers through your hair. Don’t aggressively run it through the air yet, you want to make sure the product lies in the roots.
- Comb through your hair to evenly spread the product through your hair. This step is very important as you don’t want to have uneven, ugly, product in your hair
- You’re basically done, but you can finish off your hair by using a finishing grooming spray if you wish. Normally, I don’t do it and just let the product air dry.
The time it takes might seem daunting, but really this whole process doesn’t take too long. You can finish everything in 5 minutes, or as long as 20 minutes depending on how experienced with styling you are. After a few applications, you should be able to get an accurate representation of when to use your favorite pomade, how much you need to use, and how to style your hair.
Recommended Types of Pomades For Different Types of Hair
- Works really well, smells good, and is a very good entry level pomade
- A good entry level pomade. Personally, I think the smell sucks, but the value really comes in when you consider how much cheaper it is
- Works pretty well
- Also works pretty well for thin hair when it’s slightly damp
- If you have thin hair, make sure you stay away from heavier pomades like Layrite Super Hold. These pomades will weigh your hair down.
How to Determine Value on a Hair Product
You want to get the most bang for your buck without sacrificing quality. This is extremely important for you because in the end, you will be the one spending the money and ultimately determining if the product is worth your dollar. When it comes to pomades, this is the checklist that I go through to determine value:
- How much of the product are you using? In order for you to get the desired look, are you using more than you need to compared to other pomades?
- How much product does it come with? Usually this question is answered in terms of ounces. 4 ounces seems to be a good amount of pomade for you to last a little over a month or more (again, it depends on how much is needed in your hair)
- How much is the product? Are you spending an arm and a leg to get 2 ounces of product that will only last you 2 days?
- Does the product hold throughout the day? Do you have to do multiple applications?
- Does the product hold as strong as you want it?
These are all pretty simple questions that can help you determine if the pomade will be valuable for you in the long run or not.
So Which Pomade Do I Choose?
Experimenting with different pomades is definitely recommended in order for you to get the right one for YOU. Pomades work differently for every person, and it’s important that you go and try different kinds of pomades that work for your hair type. It took me 4 different times for me to find the right kind of product for me.
Below I have added my product reviews for different types of pomades for both thin and thick hair. I have also added different 3 different types of pomades that I personally recommend and have experience with.
My Pomade Reviews & Recommendations
- BEST SELLER: A best selling product in high-demand all around the world, the Natural Beeswax Paste has incredibly high hold that will keep your hair looking perfect all day long and has a natural matte finish that compliments the holding power
- VERSATILE PRODUCT: Ideal for all hair lengths, types, and stylesÉfrom short to long, thin to thick, messy to combed
- CHECK OUT THE BUZZ: See what the world is talking about with our Natural Beeswax Paste
- ALL NATURAL: Made from all natural ingredients and completely free of alcohol, parabens and sodium chloride so you won't have to worry about your hair being damaged by undesirable ingredients
- Manufactured by Layrite
- A brand-new, unused, and unworn item
- A good quality product
- STRONG HOLD. This is a great pomade for hairstyles such as: pompadours, slick backs and side parts. Any hair style can be achieved with this pomade! If you have easier to manage hair check out our medium hold Original Hold Pomade.
- WATER SOLUBLE. This pomade washes out easily with just water and no special shampoos or soaps are needed. Does not leave hair greasy or stained after washing out. Leaves hair feeling healthy and clean after a quick rinse. No harsh chemicals to dry out hair or damage the scalp.
- COMBS WITH EASE. Style your hair without frustration. Suavecito Pomade Firme (Strong) Hold combs in with ease and provides a sturdy grip for maximum styling flexibility and less scruffy mess.
- MODERATE SHINE. This moderate shine pomade has a creamy consistency and provides a healthy vibrant shine to your hair. Apply to damp hair for more shine and apply to dry hair for less shine.
- COMMUNITY APPROVED. Born and bred in Santa Ana, California, Suavecito Pomade takes its inspiration from the community it's thrived in. Suavecito prides itself on community and quality. Made 100% in the United States.